AFULAH


AFULAH
AFULAH (Heb. עִיר יִזְרְעֶאל ;עֲפוּלָה, Ir Yizre'el), city in the Jezreel Valley, Israel. It lies at the foot of both the southwestern and northwestern slopes of Givat ha-Moreh and received municipal status in 1972. Afulah was founded in 1925 by the American Zion Commonwealth, which planned to make the town the urban center of the Jewish settlements in the Jezreel Valley. Old Afulah's location on a highway and railroad crossroads (N. and N.W. to Nazareth and to Haifa, N.E. to Tiberias, S.E. to Beth-Shean, S. to Jenin and Nablus, S.W. to Megiddo and Haderah) was seen as a promising asset. The hopes attached to Afulah, however, only materialized to a small degree, because the kibbutzim and moshavim of the valley rarely used its facilities, except for the regional hospital of Kuppat Ḥolim (the first in the country). Instead they developed their own services or preferred to use those of Haifa. In addition, the speculative sale of building plots to absentee, mostly overseas, proprietors hampered the town's development. In 1948 Afulah had a population of 2,500. After the establishment of the State of Israel, however, many immigrants were housed in Afulah, and a new section,   Afulah Illit (Upper Afulah), was laid out at a distance of 1.8–3.1 mi. (3–5 km.) from the older part of the town on Givat ha-Moreh, climbing to about 984 ft. (300 m.) above sea level. Industries – principally textile as well as a sugar refinery and a plastics factory – were opened in the city, which became the seat of the Jezreel subdistrict, its territory extending over 11 sq. mi. (28.6 sq. km.). The population of Afulah grew to approximately 17,000 in the late 1960s and 38,500 in 2002. Among the city's residents are recent immigrants from the former Soviet Union, Latin America, and Ethiopia. The name Afulah, preserved by a small Arab village al-'Afula (which lay at the site until World War I), may come from the Canaanite-Hebrew root ofel ("fortress tower"), possibly mentioned in the list of Thutmose III. In excavations carried out at the ancient tell of Afulah, remnants of the Middle and Late Canaanite and Early Israelite periods were discovered. A settlement of the transition period from the Chalcolithic to the Early Bronze Ages (c. 32nd century B.C.E.) was discovered in the vicinity. Near the site of the present-day town Napoleon's army defeated the Turks in 1799. The place became a station on the narrow-gauge railway built in 1905, from Haifa to Damascus, and a second railway was laid from Afulah to Jenin and Nablus in 1913. The former ceased operating in 1948, and the latter in 1936. (Efraim Orni / Shaked Gilboa (2nd ed.)

Encyclopedia Judaica. 1971.

Look at other dictionaries:

  • HISTORICAL SURVEY: THE STATE AND ITS ANTECEDENTS (1880–2006) — Introduction It took the new Jewish nation about 70 years to emerge as the State of Israel. The immediate stimulus that initiated the modern return to Zion was the disappointment, in the last quarter of the 19th century, of the expectation that… …   Encyclopedia of Judaism

  • ALIYAH AND ABSORPTION — GENERAL SURVEY Introduction Aliyah, ascension or going up, is the coming of Jews as individuals or in groups, from exile or diaspora to live in the Land of Israel. Those who go up for this purpose are known as olim – a term used in the Bible for… …   Encyclopedia of Judaism

  • GEOGRAPHICAL SURVEY — Names The name Ereẓ Israel (the Land of Israel) designates the land which, according to the Bible was promised as an inheritance to the Israelite tribes. In the course of time it came to be regarded first by the Jews and then also by the… …   Encyclopedia of Judaism

  • JEZREEL, VALLEY OF — (also known as the Plain of Esdraelon ; (Heb. עֵמֶק יִזְרְעֶאל), Emek Yizre el, named after the city of jezreel ), the largest of the inland valleys of Israel, after the Jordan Valley. It consists of the alluvial plain of the Kishon River,… …   Encyclopedia of Judaism

  • Afula — Hebrew transcription(s)    Hebrew עֲפוּלָה    ISO 259 ʕapula …   Wikipedia

  • Afula — Ciudad de Israel Auditorio y galería d …   Wikipedia Español

  • Афула — Город Афула עֲפוּלָה Герб …   Википедия

  • `Afula `Illit — Original name in latin ‘Afula ‘Illit Name in other language Afula Illit, Upper Afula, Afula Elit, Afula Illit, Afulah Ilith, Afulla Illit, ‘Afula ‘Elit, ‘Afula ‘Illit, ‘Afulla ‘Illit, ‘Aflh ‘Ilth State code IL Continent/City Asia/Jerusalem… …   Cities with a population over 1000 database

  • ʿARA — ʿARA, Muslim Arab village near the western entrance of the Iron Valley, on the Ḥaderah–Afulah highway. In antiquity the valley was a vital stretch of the Via Maris. In 1967 ʿAra had 1,970 inhabitants. Its economy was based on intensive farming.… …   Encyclopedia of Judaism

  • ʿARʿARA — (Ar. ﺮﻋﺮﻋة, ʿArʿarata), Israeli Muslim Arab village near the Iron Valley road connecting Ḥaderah with Afulah (a stretch of the ancient Via Maris). It had 2,450 inhabitants in 1967 and 14,500 in 2002, with an economy based on field and garden… …   Encyclopedia of Judaism


Share the article and excerpts

Direct link
Do a right-click on the link above
and select “Copy Link”

We are using cookies for the best presentation of our site. Continuing to use this site, you agree with this.